Stephen F Austin to James Kerr and John Alley, 10-03-1835
Summary: Volunteers concentrating at Gonzales. Some still refuse to believe that Cos is in Texas. Plans for campaign
I have this moment recd your letters dated
The communications which were taken
A report reached here that the voluntiers from Colombia who were to
rendezvous at Kerrs had been turned back, in consequence of news received
by them from Matagorda—in consequence of which I dispatched an
express to Colombia on receipt of the news of the attack on Gonzales— I also
dispatched the same to Matagorda, and
Correct information, as to Cos's movements, and concert between Gonzales and La Baca is very important— It is possible that Cos may attempt a forced march to this place from Goliad, in the absence of the men at Gonzales.
It would be well to keep this idea in view and to obtain certain
information, when he left Goliad, and where the Morelos Battalion have stopped—
whether they went on to Bexar, or have remained at Goliad— I expect the
I regret that there are no Guns to be had in this quarter for the supply of Capt. Aliens company. There is public powder at Matagorda which you can get by applying for in my name to the committee of that place, as they informed me they would hold it subject to my order.
I shall dispatch expresses with the information contained in your letters, to every part of the upper and eastern country. I presume you have of course informed them in Matagorda and Bay Prairie from which it will go to Colombia.
There are some who
will not yet believe that Genl. Cos has come on—
send all the positive information you can on this subject in a letter signed
by James Kerr, John Alley, George Sutherland, or some others who are
well known, in order that it may be printed with the signatures—
The printing press will be ready to print in this place
S. F. Austin [Rubric]